Monday, November 15, 2004

Decision: The Next Few Years

I feel like I have come a long way from being an indecisive person, but this decision is really weighing on me. I had my mind made up to get out of the Navy, but having a family changes a lot of things. I desire NOT to make these kind of decisions based on money, but at the same time I have to be responsible. If I want to stay in the Navy, I need to give them a decision very soon and probably should have already.

I thank God that I have so many great choices. However, on one hand, that is one of the stressful factors, too many choices. We have the world open to us: nothing to tie us down, money in the bank, education paid for by the Navy, and the Navy will move us anywhere in the States. We truly are blessed and thankful. Trish and me spend a lot of time just talking about all of the possibilities.

We are thinking about two main choices right now. One would be both of us getting out of the Navy early, August 2005, and me going to Mars Hill Graduate School in Seattle and getting my Masters in Divinity and Trish finishing up her Bachelor’s degree. The advantage to that is getting out of the Navy, out of this no-so-enjoyable job, and regaining some freedom. I am also really excited about this school and ready to engage in what I think will be a life changing experience. The disadvantage is finances and perhaps less time with family. The other choice is for Trish to get out of the Navy in May and me staying in and doing a three-year tour in Hawaii with Trish and baby as dependents. The advantage to that is geography (we love Hawaii), finances, and it would be easier to have a second child and for Trish to get a degree (she is interested in getting a degree in Radiology leading to being an Ultrasound technician). Then after we leave Hawaii, she can have a good paying job while I go to seminary. The disadvantages are I don’t think I will like the job, I will perhaps have to do shift work, and the big one, it may delay us getting to the missions field by three years. Those are just two of the good choices. Others involve Korea, China, other seminaries, or other degrees.

So if you have any wisdom or advice to offer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your prayers.

No comments: