Monday, February 07, 2005

5 Years of Service

5 Years of Service

Today is my five year mark in the Navy. I do not think there is anyone that doesn't find that hard to believe, especially me.

I do not feel that I have contributed very much to the Navy, but I also haven't had that much opportunity. Most of the time our military is training and maintaining readiness for just in case. "Just in case" has been the thought that has got me through many of days feeling unproductive. Now, I do everything the Navy gives me to the best of my ability, but I haven't done much to contribute to our nation's freedom. I know in the grand scheme of things I have helped by serving in my command which in turn contributes to keeping our military informed, but by in large, I do not see any fruit.

On the bright side, training and my time outside of duty hours has been marvelous. I have had so many opportunities for travel and education, the pay has been great, and the job security is unbeatable.

I am thankful that I have been able to serve without being exposed to any real harm and never had to use force on anyone. I have enjoyed my time, but I am ready to move on. I believe I know my next step (more to come on that note).

By the way, the picture is from one of our runs where the whole base gets together once a month (except in winter) to run about two miles. I am leading our command formation as the Fitness Leader. I don't have many military pictures, but I wanted to include something.

No comments: