Sunday, January 08, 2006

Reflections on First Trimester

I've been wanting to post this for a while. The following are a few thoughts concerning my first trimester at MHGS:
  • I had high expectations for my time here and they have been met.
  • I thought my views, theological understanding, doctrinal beliefs, etc. had been pretty much deconstructed before I came to the school. Man, was I wrong! I had and have a lot more deconstruction to go. I echo Meister Eckhart; "I pray God to rid me of God." That is take away my blinders, destroy the box I've put You in, and continually transform Your image.
  • God is mysterious and I love that. It makes me want to seek God and not reason out the mystery.
  • How I hold (metaphorically) the Bible has changed so much that I dare not start to write how because it would take too much explanation for this post.
  • My conviction of the importance of community has been strengthened. Relationships are what the world is all about.
  • I feel like my vision has broadened much as I've realized that God can be seen in everything; all of creation and even in evil and suffering.
  • I've realized that I want to live my life in solidarity with all of humanity as Christ lives in solidarity with us. He is part of our rejoicing and He is part of our suffering.
  • I just realized that this post could take more time than I have and not do justice to what I sense stirring and changing in my heart. However, here are some buzz words that you can bring up in conversation with me sometime if you want to hear more: postmodernity, tradition, narrative, feminist theology, liberation theology, I-Thou, dialogue, story, encounter, contextualization, contradiction, mutual surrender, authenticity, presence, and incarnational. There is more, but I'll stop there.

1 comment:

Marc David said...

Liberation theology and Feminist theology, these are subjects I would probably only be interested in conversing with you about.( that's a compliment I think )