Thursday, May 26, 2005

Finding Faith

I just finished Finding Faith by Brian McLaren (see links for his web site). The book seems to be geared for those who "think faith requires turning your back on truth and intellectual honesty." A friend of mine is struggling with his faith so we both endeavored to read it so that we could discuss it. Another friend had returned to the Chirstian faith after reading it so I thought it a good idea. The following is from a chapter called How Might God Be Experienced:

"Imagine a person whom you love a great feal - a friend, a spouse, a parent - but someone from whom you are frequently seperated, or perhaps someone who has died. If that person whom you miss so deeply suddenly, unexpectedly appeared in front of you, you would no doubt embrace with unbridled enthusiasm and speak fervent words of your love... and perhaps cry too, for joy. Well, that's something of what I felt that day during a time of worship. God, whom I love but from whom I always feel some degree of distance simply because God is invisible (among other reasons), suddenly felt so near and real. It was as if God were standing right beside me...right inside me...or even bigger, so I was right inside God...and I felt embraced, contained, filled, saturated by God and God's love."

I hope you have encountered this. Of course, there isn't a formula to enter this experience. I don't understand it, but no doubt, it helps me know God is real.

No comments: